Monday, April 28, 2008

I want to riiide my biiiicycle....

As Bike-to-work month continues to creep up on your back wheel, I thought it might be interesting to see how efficiently we could map our bike routes, breaking down everything from kilometers and calories, to routes and roads.

[Photo: Bicycle parking at a library in the Netherlands. The foldable plates on the top of the stands can be lowered over the seats if it begins to rain.]

Speaking of efficiency, I'm lazy! It appears as though Bike Hacks has already beaten me to the pedal. They've compiled a list of both global and location-specific mapping tools to help you organize your commute.

The list is quite impressive, not just in terms of interweb tools, but in terms of interest. It's great to see that there so many different regions picking up their bikes, and putting down those congestion-inducing car keys.

From their website (via Carectomy):

Crickey, there are a lot of ways to map your bike route! This list focuses on freely available versions. I’ve caught a lot of them, but I’m sure there are more. If you notice that I missed your favorite free bike route mapping tool, drop it in the comments!

There are plenty of places that’ll sell you a bike map, but I’m mainly interested in maps that are offered for free. And, amazingly, these aren’t all variations on (the excellent) Google Maps. This list is broken into two sections, with only the vaguest notions of organization. The first section are resources that are more global in nature. The second section are more location-specific maps.

Read more HERE